Thursday, June 10, 2004

Japanese Music Archive Idea

This weblog is my first attempt at any kind of HTML, but it has sparked some creativity with me, and today for the first time in a long time I had the beginnings of an idea form somewhere in the confines of my convoluted brain. I'm not sure this idea will hold water, so I'd really appreciate some feedback from people on this.

Since coming to Japan, I've been very fortunate to meet a wide range of people all over the country. Some of my best friends here are musicians, and I've often wanted to share some of their music as well as other music I've been introduced to here with the rest of the world.

For years now I've been downloading music from various sites on the internet. I've used FTP software, bit torrent, FLAC, mp3, and SHN. I'm no pro with any of this stuff, but I feel comfortable using it, and I have a good idea about what's user friendly.

Now hypothetically speaking, what if there were a Japanese Music Archive where anyone could access and download music from Japan. Maybe it'd be local Japanese rock bands, avant-garde noise, DJs spinning, or maybe it'd be foreign bands playing small clubs here.

Would you find this interesting? Would you download something you're not familiar with and check it out?

Right now this is just a daydream. I have no idea what it would take to host such a sight, the costs, or even the equipment needed, but it's something I want to explore because I see the potential for something really cool and useful for all my friends.

Here's to dreaming.

No comments: