Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Age of Glorious Optimism

Ashville2

This past week I made a sudden trip back to the USA to attend a family funeral for my Uncle Ned.

He fought a seven month battle against a malicious brain tumor, and tried his best to be the Lance Armstrong of my hometown, but some things aren't meant to be.

This is a very sensitive subject for me to write about, so I'm gonna skip most of the details. To be perfectly honest, it's the first time death has ever entered my direct family, and I'm still struggling with how to cope with it.

I will say this though. The bond that was formed by my family members and the outpouring of compassion by members of the Gainesville, GA community made me very proud of who I am and where I'm from.

This past weekend my two cousins, Harris & Stuart, who have been under incredible stress over the past seven months, along with my brother Darrell and another close friend named Rob, decided to decompress by taking a trip into the mountains of Asheville, NC and stay in a converted 116 year old mansion called the Richmond Hill Inn.

Asheville1
Richmond Hill Inn


I was fortunate enough to join them for one night.

By the time I got there Sunday around 5pm, they were all outside playing croquet in the drizzling rain. As I stood by and watched the malevolent game, they told me stories of the previous night and morning.

Asheville1
Shoes off for better knocking


Asheville1
Brotherly love


There was something about my brother walking up and down the old rickety halls wearing a bathrobe and a black equestrian riding helmet to serve coffee to my cousins. I can only imagine the sideways glances of other guests and staff.

Asheville1
Ignatius J. Reilly ain't got nuthin' on DWG


That night we broke the bank and got suited up in coats and ties to have dinner in the five star dinning room called Gabrielle's located on the first floor of the mansion. We were seated underneath a large chandelier and in front the fire place.

Asheville3
Chandelier


The meal lasted almost four hours and included a bottle of champagne, a pallet pleaser of salmon, an appetizer of scallops, two bottles of bordeaux, seared steak, two plates of cheeses, a glass of port for myself, and a chocolate torte to top it off.

Asheville3
High-brow Mongoloids


Afterwards, we went back to our rooms in silence and decided the meal was fantastic, but the cheeses were a bit too much.

Asheville3
The Age of Indulgence


I have the greatest family in the world, and it hurts that it took losing a main member to help me realize it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great photos. I appreciate you taking the time to make them come to life. Unfortunately, I have the picture of Big D in the bathrobe, a true classic in all senses of the word.

It is amazing that even in difficult times, great positive moments and memories are possible.

Anonymous said...

Great way to get the blog rolling. I missed reading up on what you were doing. I like you havent had death hit me in my direct family since I was seven. You offered the main point when tradegy strikes is that the family always goes on and that you are lucky enough to be a part of the future

stuart