Monday, November 14, 2005

Shirakawa-go



This past weekend I went with my friend Mika to Shirakawa-go, a World Heritage site meant to commemorate the mountain lifestyle of Japanese farmers in Gifu Prefecture around the turn of the century.

I met Mika back in July at a party in Nagoya, and we started seeing each other when I returned from the Philippines.

This weekend was our first and possibly last weekend outing because Mika is moving to Seattle later this month. She's taken a job with CICD to work with and assist Japanese residents in the Seattle area.

Anyway, we drove up to Gifu Saturday morning and spent the day walking around Shirakawa Village checking out all the gassho-style farmhouses and taking in the colorful mountain scenery.

That night we stayed in a minshuku, had an incredible Japanese feast, and took a relaxing onsen.

Sunday morning we drove over to Takayama and walked in and out of the tourist shops snacking on ALL the local delicacies. Dango, Gohei-mochi, Hida-beef koroke, Hida-beef sushi, Hoba-miso, giant sembei, Takayama Ji-zake. You name it.

I took quite a few picture over the course of the weekend, so I put them together in a photo album using my dotmac account.

To view my photo album please click here: Shirakawa-go Photos.

No comments: